This recipe is a favorite around our house. It’s quick, easy, relatively inexpensive and goes toe to toe with some of the best Chinese takeout. My version is also gluten free. This is a great recipe.
This recipe yields about 4 servings. Halve or double it as you desire.
- 2 lbs sirloin steak
- 1 cup reduced sodium gluten free soy sauce. Make sure this is gluten free. I use San-J Reduced Salt Soy Tamari Sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup sugar – I use Sugar in The Raw – 1/3 cup of sugar yields only slight sweetness. You could use more or less, use another sweetener altogether or omit the sugar.
- Oil – 2 tablespoons + 1/2 cup
- 6 scallions/green onions – cut greens into 1″ pieces – discard remainder
- 1/2 cup water
Preparations – Slice the steak into thin 1/8″-1/16″ thick slices. Make sure and cut against the grain. Mince the ginger and garlic. Cut scallions.
Sauce – Add two tablespoons of oil to a small saucepot and heat to medium high heat. Saute ginger and garlic until golden brown. Add GF Soy Sauce and water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes and set aside.
Stir fry meat – Add half cup oil to a large saute pan or wok (I use this GreenPan Wok) over medium-high heat. You want the oil hot but not smoking. Add meat and brown. After steak has browned remove from pan and drain excess liquid. Return to pan and add sauce mixture, boil dish on medium for 3 to 4 minutes. Fold in green onions. Remove from heat.
Serve with rice or gluten free noodles.
7 Simple ingredients (not counting water) and easy preparation in 30 minutes. Delicious, gluten free Chinese take out at home!
Easy variations – add broccoli for a GF broccoli beef or add a full selection of veggies for a beef broccoli stir fry.
This is based on Just a Taste’s 30 Minute Mongolian Beef. I made some adjustments to make it gluten free, along with a few other tweaks… thinner meat, reduced the sugar and omitted the corn starch. You could add that back if you like a thicker sauce.
Connect with Us! Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | RSS Feed | Email Newsletter | Submit a Tip
Recent Great Deals [more]:
You must be logged in to post a comment.